Last Updated March 2017
1. Your use of KidCheck® products, software, services and web sites (referred to collectively as the “Services” or singly as the “Service”) in this document and excluding any services provided to you by KidCheck under a separate written agreement) is subject to the terms of this legal agreement between you and KidCheck. “KidCheck” means KidCheck Inc., whose principal place of business is at 133 E. 50th St., Boise, ID 83714, United States.
2. Unless otherwise agreed in writing with KidCheck, your agreement with KidCheck will always include, at a minimum, the terms and conditions set out in this document. These are referred to below as the “Universal Terms.” Any other software licenses with KidCheck constitute separate written agreements.
3. Your agreement with KidCheck will also include the terms of any Legal Notices applicable to the Services, in addition to the Universal Terms. All of these are referred to below as the “Additional Terms.” Where Additional Terms apply to a Service, these will be accessible for you to read either within, or through your use of, that Service.
4. The Universal Terms, together with the Additional Terms, form a legally binding agreement between you and KidCheck in relation to your use of the Services. It is important that you take the time to read them carefully. Collectively, this legal agreement is referred to below as the “Terms.”
5. If there is any contradiction between what the Additional Terms say and what the Universal Terms say, then the Additional Terms shall take precedence in relation to that Service.
(a) Additional Terms #1: the Cancellation Policies stated at https://www.kidcheck.com/policies/cancellations-returns/ are integrated herein and made a part hereof.
6. In order to use the Services, you must first agree to the Terms. You may not use the Services if you do not accept the Terms.
(a) clicking to accept or agree to the Terms, where this option is made available to you by KidCheck in the user interface for any Service; or
(b) by actually using the Services. In this case, you understand and agree that KidCheck will treat your use of the Services as acceptance of the Terms from that point onwards.
7. You may not use the Services and may not accept the Terms if (a) you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with KidCheck, or (b) you are a person barred from receiving the Services under the laws of the United States or other countries including the country in which you are resident or from which you use the Services.
8. Before you continue, you should print off or save a local copy of the Universal Terms for your records.
9. Where KidCheck has provided you with a translation of the English language version of the Terms, then you agree that the translation is provided for your convenience only and that the English language versions of the Terms will govern your relationship with KidCheck.
10. If there is any contradiction between what the English language version of the Terms says and what a translation says, then the English language version shall take precedence.
11. Provision of the Services by KidCheck
(a) The Services consist in whole or in part of software running remotely on servers controlled by KidCheck. You have no right to receive either an object code or source code version of the software operating on the remote servers. Your usage rights are constrained by this Agreement and are limited to accessing the services via a designated portal using username(s) and password(s) provided to you by KidCheck in KidCheck’s sole discretion.
(b) KidCheck may one day have subsidiaries and affiliated legal entities around the world (Subsidiaries and Affiliates). These companies may provide the Services to you on behalf of KidCheck itself. You acknowledge and agree that Subsidiaries and Affiliates will be entitled to provide the Services to you.
(c) KidCheck is constantly innovating in order to provide the best possible experience for its users. You acknowledge and agree that the form and nature of the Services which KidCheck provides may change from time to time without prior notice to you.
(d) As part of this continuing innovation, you acknowledge and agree that KidCheck may stop (permanently or temporarily) providing the Services (or any features within the Services) to you or to users generally at KidCheck's sole discretion, without prior notice to you. You may stop using the Services at any time in accordance with Additional Terms #1.
(e) You acknowledge and agree that if KidCheck disables access to your account, you may be prevented from accessing the Services, your account details or any files or other content which is contained in your account.
12. In order to access certain Services, you will be required to provide information about yourself as part of the registration process for the Service, or as part of your continued use of the Services. You agree that any registration information you give to KidCheck will always be accurate, correct and up to date.
13. You agree to pay for the Services at the rate and timing as agreed upon between you and KidCheck.
14. You agree to use the Services only for purposes that are permitted by (a) the Terms and (b) any applicable law, regulation or generally accepted practices or guidelines in the relevant jurisdictions (including any laws regarding the export of data or software to and from the United States or other relevant countries).
15. You agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the Services by any means other than through the interface that is provided by KidCheck, unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate agreement with KidCheck. You specifically agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the Services through any automated means and shall ensure that you comply with the instructions set out in any file present on the Services.
16. You agree that you will not engage in any activity that interferes with or disrupts the Services (or the servers and networks which are connected to the Services).
17. Unless you have been specifically permitted to do so in a separate agreement with KidCheck, you agree that you will not reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade or resell the Services for any purpose.
18. You agree that you are solely responsible for (and that KidCheck has no responsibility to you or to any third party for) any breach of your obligations under the Terms and for the consequences (including any loss or damage which KidCheck may suffer) of any such breach.
19. Your passwords and account security
(a) You agree and understand that you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of passwords associated with any account you use to access the Services.
(b) Accordingly, you agree that you will be solely responsible to KidCheck for all activities that occur under your account.
(c) If you become aware of any unauthorized use of your password or of your account, you agree to notify KidCheck immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(d) All passwords and usernames are the property of KidCheck, and your use of them is allowed by KidCheck under license.
20. Privacy and your personal information
(b) You agree to the use of your data in accordance with Additional Terms #2.
(c) Unless otherwise stated in Additional Terms #2 As between you and us, we own the data generated by your use of the services, exclusive of your personal or confidential information.
21. You understand that all information (such as data files, written text, computer software, music, audio files or other sounds, photographs, videos or other images) which you may have access to as part of, or through your use of, the Services are the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated. All such information is referred to below as the “Content.”
22. You should be aware that Content presented to you as part of the Services, including but not limited to advertisements in the Services and sponsored Content within the Services may be protected by intellectual property rights which are owned by the sponsors or advertisers who provide that Content to KidCheck (or by other persons or companies on their behalf). You may not modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on this Content (either in whole or in part) unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by KidCheck or by the owners of that Content, in a separate agreement.
23. KidCheck reserves the right (but shall have no obligation) to pre-screen, review, flag, filter, modify, refuse or remove any or all Content from any Service.
24. You understand that by using the Services you may be exposed to Content that you may find offensive, indecent or objectionable, including linked content displayed on other sites or servers and that, in this respect, you use the Services at your own risk.
25. You agree that you are solely responsible for (and that KidCheck has no responsibility to you or to any third party for) any Content that you create, transmit or display while using the Services and for the consequences of your actions (including any loss or damage which KidCheck may suffer) by doing so.
26. You acknowledge and agree that KidCheck (or KidCheck's licensors) own all legal right, title and interest in and to the Services, including any intellectual property rights which subsist in the Services (whether those rights happen to be registered or not, and wherever in the world those rights may exist). You further acknowledge that the Services may contain information which is designated confidential by KidCheck and that you shall not disclose such information without KidCheck's prior written consent.
27. Unless you have agreed otherwise in writing with KidCheck, nothing in the Terms gives you a right to use any of KidCheck's trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos, domain names, and other distinctive brand features.
28. If you have been given an explicit right to use any of these brand features in a separate written agreement with KidCheck, then you agree that your use of such features shall be in compliance with that agreement, any applicable provisions of the Terms, and KidCheck's brand feature use guidelines as updated from time to time.
29. Other than the limited license set forth in Section 35, KidCheck acknowledges and agrees that it obtains no right, title or interest from you (or your licensors) under these Terms in or to any Content that you submit, post, transmit or display on, or through, the Services, including any intellectual property rights which subsist in that Content (whether those rights happen to be registered or not, and wherever in the world those rights may exist). Unless you have agreed otherwise in writing with KidCheck, you agree that you are responsible for protecting and enforcing those rights and that KidCheck has no obligation to do so on your behalf.
30. You agree that you shall not remove, obscure, or alter any proprietary rights notices (including copyright and trademark notices) which may be affixed to or contained within the Services.
31. Unless you have been expressly authorized to do so in writing by KidCheck, you agree that in using the Services, you will not use any trademark, service mark, trade name, logo of any company or organization in a way that is likely or intended to cause confusion about the owner or authorized user of such marks, names or logos.
32. KidCheck gives you a non-exclusive license to use the software provided to you by KidCheck as part of the Services as provided to you by KidCheck (the “Software”). This license is for the sole purpose of enabling you to use and enjoy the benefit of the Services as provided by KidCheck, in the manner permitted by the Terms.
33. You may not (and you may not permit anyone else to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Software or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by law, or unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by KidCheck, in writing.
34. Unless KidCheck has given you specific written permission to do so, you may not assign (or grant a sub-license of) your rights to use the Software, grant a security interest in or over your rights to use the Software, or otherwise transfer any part of your rights to use the Software.
35. You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
36. The Software which you use may automatically install updates from time to time from KidCheck. These updates are designed to improve, enhance and further develop the Services and may take the form of bug fixes, enhanced functions, new software modules and completely new versions. You agree to receive such updates (and permit KidCheck to deliver these to you) as part of your use of the Services.
37. NOTHING IN THESE TERMS SHALL EXCLUDE OR LIMIT KIDCHECK'S WARRANTY OR LIABILITY FOR LOSSES WHICH MAY NOT BE LAWFULLY EXCLUDED OR LIMITED BY APPLICABLE LAW. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR BREACH OF IMPLIED TERMS, OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, ONLY THE LIMITATIONS WHICH ARE LAWFUL IN YOUR JURISDICTION WILL APPLY TO YOU AND OUR LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
38. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THAT THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND “AS AVAILABLE.”
39. IN PARTICULAR, KIDCHECK, ITS SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES, AND ITS LICENSORS DO NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT TO YOU THAT:
(a) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS,
(b) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR FREE FROM ERROR,
(c) ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED BY YOU AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, AND
(d) THAT DEFECTS IN THE OPERATION OR FUNCTIONALITY OF ANY SOFTWARE PROVIDED TO YOU AS PART OF THE SERVICES WILL BE CORRECTED.
40. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
41. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM KidCheck OR THROUGH OR FROM THE SERVICES SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE TERMS.
42. KidCheck FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
43. SUBJECT TO OVERALL PROVISION IN PARAGRAPH 38 ABOVE, YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT KIDCHECK, ITS SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES, AND ITS LICENSORS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR:
(a) ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES WHICH MAY BE INCURRED BY YOU, HOWEVER CAUSED AND UNDER ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY. THIS SHALL INCLUDE, BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO, ANY LOSS OF PROFIT (WHETHER INCURRED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY), ANY LOSS OF GOODWILL OR BUSINESS REPUTATION, ANY LOSS OF DATA SUFFERED, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSS;
(b) ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE WHICH MAY BE INCURRED BY YOU, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OR DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF:
(i) ANY RELIANCE PLACED BY YOU ON THE COMPLETENESS, ACCURACY OR EXISTENCE OF ANY ADVERTISING, OR AS A RESULT OF ANY RELATIONSHIP OR TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND ANY ADVERTISER OR SPONSOR WHOSE ADVERTISING APPEARS ON THE SERVICES;
(ii) ANY CHANGES WHICH KidCheck MAY MAKE TO THE SERVICES, OR FOR ANY PERMANENT OR TEMPORARY CESSATION IN THE PROVISION OF THE SERVICES (OR ANY FEATURES WITHIN THE SERVICES);
(iii) THE DELETION OF, CORRUPTION OF, OR FAILURE TO STORE, ANY CONTENT AND OTHER COMMUNICATIONS DATA MAINTAINED OR TRANSMITTED BY OR THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES;
(iv) YOUR FAILURE TO PROVIDE KidCheck WITH ACCURATE ACCOUNT INFORMATION;
(v) YOUR FAILURE TO KEEP YOUR PASSWORD OR ACCOUNT DETAILS SECURE AND CONFIDENTIAL;
44. THE LIMITATIONS ON KIDCHECK'S LIABILITY TO YOU IN PARAGRAPH 44 ABOVE SHALL APPLY WHETHER OR NOT KidCheck HAS BEEN ADVISED OF OR SHOULD HAVE BEEN AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH LOSSES ARISING.
45. Indemnity. You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless KidCheck its parent company, officers, directors, affiliates, employees, and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees) arising from: (i) your use of and access to the Services or the Software; (ii) your violation of any term of these Terms; or (iii) your violation of any third-party right, including without limitation any copyright, patent, trademark, property, or privacy right. This defense and indemnification obligation will survive these Terms.
46. Copyright and trademark policies
(a) It is KidCheck's policy to respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable international intellectual property law (including, in the United States, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and to terminating the accounts of repeat infringers.
(b) KidCheck operates a trademark complaints procedure in respect of KidCheck's advertising business.
47. Some of the Services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions. These advertisements may be targeted to the content of information stored on the Services, queries made through the Services or other information.
48. The manner, mode and extent of advertising by KidCheck on the Services are subject to change without specific notice to you.
49. In consideration for KidCheck granting you access to and use of the Services, you agree that KidCheck may place such advertising on the Services.
50. The Services may include hyperlinks to other web sites or content or resources. KidCheck may have no control over any web sites or resources which are provided by companies or persons other than KidCheck.
51. You acknowledge and agree that KidCheck is not responsible for the availability of any such external sites or resources, and does not endorse any advertising, products or other materials on or available from such web sites or resources.
52. You acknowledge and agree that KidCheck is not liable for any loss or damage which may be incurred by you as a result of the availability of those external sites or resources, or as a result of any reliance placed by you on the completeness, accuracy or existence of any advertising, products or other materials on, or available from, such web sites or resources.
53. KidCheck may make changes to the Universal Terms or Additional Terms from time to time. When these changes are made, KidCheck will make a new copy of the Universal Terms available at www.KidCheck.com and any new Additional Terms will be made available to you from within, or through, the affected Services.
54. You understand and agree that if you use the Services after the date on which the Universal Terms or Additional Terms have changed, KidCheck will treat your use as acceptance of the updated Universal Terms or Additional Terms.
55. Sometimes when you use the Services, you may (as a result of, or through your use of the Services) use a service or download a piece of software, or purchase goods, which are provided by another person or company. Your use of these other services, software or goods may be subject to separate terms between you and the company or person concerned. If so, the Terms do not affect your legal relationship with these other companies or individuals.
56. The Terms constitute the whole legal agreement between you and KidCheck and govern your use of the Services (but excluding any services which KidCheck may provide to you under a separate written agreement), and completely replace any prior agreements between you and KidCheck in relation to the Services.
57. You agree that KidCheck may provide you with notices, including those regarding changes to the Terms, by email, regular mail, or postings on the Services.
58. You agree that if KidCheck does not exercise or enforce any legal right or remedy which is contained in the Terms (or which KidCheck has the benefit of under any applicable law), this will not be taken to be a formal waiver of KidCheck's rights and that those rights or remedies will still be available to KidCheck.
59. If any court of law, having the jurisdiction to decide on this matter, rules that any provision of these Terms is invalid, then that provision will be removed from the Terms without affecting the rest of the Terms. The remaining provisions of the Terms will continue to be valid and enforceable.
60. You acknowledge and agree that each member of the group of companies of which KidCheck is the parent shall be third party beneficiaries to the Terms and that such other companies shall be entitled to directly enforce, and rely upon, any provision of the Terms which confers a benefit on (or rights in favor of) them. Other than this, no other person or company shall be third party beneficiaries to the Terms.
61. The Terms, and your relationship with KidCheck under the Terms, shall be governed by the laws of the State of Idaho without regard to its conflict of laws provisions. You and KidCheck agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the county of Ada, Idaho to resolve any legal matter arising from the Terms. Notwithstanding this, you agree that KidCheck shall still be allowed to apply for injunctive remedies (or an equivalent type of urgent legal relief) in any jurisdiction. In any action arising out of this Agreement, the prevailing party shall be entitled to an award of its reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs.
2017 KidCheck Inc., 133 E. 50th St., Boise, ID 83714, U.S.A.
Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.